Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Problems With Regioselectivity



The point group of my brain probably has impossible symmetry. Thursday morning, exhausted, one coffee down and I'm already struggling through the Inorganic lecture.
 It's sad but when I get bored I glance around the room at the rest of my Inorganic class and decide who I'd have sex with. There are about three, all would need alcohol (that's mutual consumption, not just me drinking here) and none who I'd ever consider have sex with more than once.This is out of pure boredom- my lecturer is droning on in a somewhat monotonous tone RE: all this symmetry shit (is a molecule has the same symmetry elements as water, for example, what do we then know about that molecule?). Realistically, I wouldn't have sex right then. I wouldn't want to. I'm exhausted. I got four sleep last night, and now all I want to do is go to sleep.

Something that always is problematic for any chemist is Regioselectivity, which is sort of like where things add in a reaction- where things go when you chuck them all together in a beaker. Sometimes your reactant will bond where you want it, sometimes it won't. CHEM101 highlights that when you are performing an electrophilic addition onto an aromatic ring, there are often problems with where things add. For example, as soon as you add a carbonyl group, electrons are sucked out of the ring and now you can only add to certain locations on the ring, meaning that you must drastically predetermine where you're going with your reaction before it begins.You must have perspective and foresight. You must purify at each step of a complex synthesis if you garner unwanted products.There is an intelligence and forethought required to perform the reaction, so you don't fuck it up. Whenever I perform some synthesis, cook something up in the lab, I sit down and draw what's going to happen. This much perspective I seldom apply to any other aspect of my life. I don't know what I want to do after my degree, which finishes in a year- Honours and Med are on the table, but the choice and effort seems exhausting. I am unsure if I will make the right choice when I finish my degree- or is there even a right choice?

Regioselectivity problems are inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment